So you just binged, now what?
Ever find yourself mindlessly eating or searching through the cabinets for something to satisfy that seemingly insatiable desire to eat? This definitely happens to me from time to time and while this particular story is embarrassing to admit, I will anyway; along with my tips for stopping a binge in its tracks or moving on if it has happened.
A few months back I was stressing about something and food got the better of me. So after polishing off a bag of chips, I found my way to the cabinet where I keep baking supplies and low and behold… a bag with a handful of M&Ms left. I quickly found the peanut butter and made myself a small feast, which tasted good for about 4 seconds, and then I got control of my thoughts, realized that this was NOT helping and I stopped eating. So here’s the embarrassing part and then how I move on when this happens…
The next day my husband was making a peanut butter sandwich and I see him looking puzzled at the PB jar. He held it up and said to me, “do you know why there is an M&M in the peanut butter?” Oh. My. God. In my craze I had lost a blue M&M in the jar! Okay, time to do something about this…
So here are my top tips for stopping a binge in its tracks or moving on in the event that it happens:
- Change the taste in your mouth immediately. Try having a seltzer with apple cider vinegar (you all know this is one of my favorites) or licorice mint tea.
- Brush your teeth! Or swish with a natural mint mouthwash, the clean feeling in your mouth will keep you from wanting to eat more.
- Move, move, move. Try doing five sets of 20 jumping jacks. This will distract you from eating and help you to feel something physical that is positive.
- Leave the room. If possible, leave the room or place with the food. Sometimes you just need to walk away.
- Love. As the thoughts of shame and regret inevitably start to creep in, shine light on them and forgive. Immediately think about love and light and that you are pure grace.
What helps you move on from a (potential) binge? Share your thoughts below!