Check out this 10 part VIDEO SERIES as I share quick tips on how I manage Emotional Eating.
Get Lively Green Smoothie Workout
Short on time? NO PROBLEM! Get some exercise in while making your morning smoothie! That's right friends, I've put together a super quick routine (and great green smoothie recipe!) to prove that you CAN fit movement into your day. You just have to get creative!
Now, this camera angle is HUMBLING, but this is about YOU getting more activity into your day, NOT about me feeling glamorous on YouTube, so please give it a try and tell me what you think!
And for those taking notes… this is what I put in my smoothie:
1 cup greens (totally jammed in – just as they say not to do)
1/2 frozen fruit (I used cherries for this one)
1/3 scoop of Raw Fit vegan protein powder
Unsweetened cashew milk
Just prop your phone up while assembling your smoothie and give this a go!
Did I just use the words “summer” and “routine” in the same sentence? A bit of an oxymoron, wouldn’t you say? Part of the allure of this glorious season is how our routines seem to fade into the background as meals become more impromptu, shoes become optional (seemingly along with showers…. swimming at the beach counts, right??), and exercise becomes a more organic part of daily life ranging from long walks, to bike rides, and outdoor fitness classes. What a beautiful way to spend a few months!
If you are anything like me, transitioning from summer is TOUGH, so I set out today to offer tools and tips for both YOU and ME to gracefully transition into the fall.
- Gratitude goes a long way. Don’t let the season slip away without taking a moment to account for all that you enjoyed. Maybe you spent precious time with family on the beach, or crazy nights out with friends, or reflective moments alone in nature; whatever it is that you did, take time to acknowledge how much you cherish the experience and express gratitude for this time. Write about it in a journal, or find a photo to print or make the background on your phone. Let this serve as a reminder of how full life can feel and carry that notion into the autumn months.
- Embrace the routine. One of the most exciting things about the “back to school” period is that it does serve as an opportunity to get back into a routine and structure your day according to what you want to accomplish. Maybe it is getting back into that 6am yoga class, or creating weekly meal plans. Embrace this time to create the life YOU want to live each day.
- Explore what the season has to offer. As the BBQs and watermelons transition to apple picking and pumpkin everything, take this time to try new seasonal produce and new ways to prepare old favorites. Sautéing fresh picked apples with coconut oil and cinnamon is one of my favorite fall treats and a great way to enjoy a healthy dessert. Check out some blogs, and flip through magazines for ideas. (Our own Heather Lee will be sure to offer up some ideas in her “Recipe Dressing Room” blog, but also check out our favorite: My Whole Food Life for some delicious ideas.)
- Be social. It might seem like all of your friends now spend their time running from one soccer game to the next, but we can all find time to spend together. Ask a friend to train for a 5 or 10k with you and that way you get to spend time together and also exercise – double the incentive to commit to being together.
- Keep soaking up the sun. Sure the days are getting shorter, but the sun is still high in the sky, so get out there and soak up that vitamin D – we’ll need it in a few months! Take a quick walk during lunch, before dinner, and on the weekends. Living in the warmth and glow of the sun will fuel your soul until we find ourselves ready to trade in the Ugg boots for flip flops once again…
Please share your favorite summer memories below and how you plan to use these tips to help you gracefully glide into the fall….
Schools out, summer vacation is underway, and here are the top five reasons to abandon your healthy lifestyle and have your unhealthiest vacation ever.
- You want to gorge on fried clams, french fries, hot dogs, and wash it all down with ice cream and margaritas on a daily basis.
- You want to sit on your rump and not move for days.
- You want to return from vacation feeling bloated and not being able to button your work pants.
- You want to enjoy the first few days of letting your healthy habits go and then spend the rest of the week feeling guilt ridden.
- You want to have to recover from your vacation.
Now yes, this is written in jest as nobody actually intents to behave and feel this way, but how many times have you slipped into this space? How often do you approach a vacation or weekend with the idea that you are going to let yourself go crazy and abandon your healthy lifestyle? And the more important question is: how many times have you done this and NOT regretted it? So set an intention to break the cycle!
So, now that I have had my moment to be witty, here are the top five ways to stay healthy and active during your vacation:
- Understand the difference between “letting yourself go” and enjoying fabulous summer treats. When you enter a situation with the mindset that all bets are off and that you are going to eat whatever you want, you will do just that. But have you ever noticed that it is rarely as much fun as it originally seems? Instead, indulge in a treat that you love and leave it at that. Have that ice cream cone at the end of the day, or treat yourself to fried fish one night of your vacation, just don’t let it turn into a landslide. You will feel amazing if you decide to have a treat, enjoy it, and not let it open the flood gates or trigger a binge. So get to know that beautiful space in-between.
- Explore the local fitness scene. Find a yoga class on the beach, bootcamp class on a playground, or drop into a class at the local community center. This is a fun way to try out new instructors and styles, and stay active while away.
- Hire a personal trainer to come to your hotel or vacation home for a few sessions while you are away. The investment in these sessions will mentally help you stay on track as you will be less likely to overdo it at the afternoon BBQ if you have already invested your time and money in a session with a trainer that day.
- Safety in numbers. Studies show time and time again that when you eat with people who make good food choices, you are less likely to make bad ones. So get your friends and family on board! Find a local health coach to help you plan your meals and outings for the week and do a casual workshop with your group on how to eat mindfully while enjoying time away.
- Live, laugh, love. Really take this time to disconnect from technology, connect with your family and friends, spend time outside in the sun and fresh air, take endless walks to explore your surroundings, and get restful sleep. Release the “to do” list and look people in the eye when you talk to them. Be present; with yourself and with your loved ones. Enjoy the gift of time and nurture your body and soul.
Enjoy this glorious season, my friends! Oh…. and if you are going to be on Cape Cod this summer, I just happen to know a personal trainer and health coach who would be MORE than happy to help you out with your “stay healthy and active” goals. Hint, hint, contact me today.
No matter where your summer plans may take you, follow these tips to stay “lively” and utilize my free “do anywhere” body weight workout. Enjoy!
- Embrace a lively mindset. Yes, you are going on vacation and you want to enjoy yourself, but that doesn’t have to mean that you completely abandon your healthy eating habits. That will actually work against your effort to restore your body and soul, so enjoy the treats that you want most, and leave the rest behind. Want to savor a lobster roll and fries at lunch? Go for it, just skip the ice cream and salt water taffy that day. Want the ice cream? Have it, just go for a lighter lunch such as a salad with grilled fish. Don’t self sabotage by using the excuse, “but I am on vacation,” rather, think about how great it will feel to indulge in a few treats without your clothes getting snug while you enjoy your time away.
- Drink lots and lots of water. You already know this, but while you are on vacation, particularly while it is hot, it is so important to up your water intake. This will also help you to feel full and flush your system. And remember for every beer, glass of wine, or cocktail you drink, match it with a full glass of water.
- Keep moving. You might not be hitting the gym each morning as you do at home, but find ways to keep active. Take morning walks and enjoy the sun and scenery. Find a yoga class on the beach or an outdoor boot camp. Try my 10 minute “do anywhere” bodyweight workout – no equipment needed!
What a great month this has been thus far! Your energy and excitement for the “Four Corners of Wellness” has been great. You are trying new things and sharing what excites and intrigues you most about your wellness journey. So with that in mind, drumroll please…..
The Get Lively community has spoken and selected FITNESS and MINDFULNESS as the finalists for our “March Lively-ness” contest. So what does that mean for you? Well, it means that you have a chance to win either a custom video workout or a book from a leading expert on mindfulness, but you have to vote one more time to determine the winner!
So you know the drill, on the Facebook posted that is embedded below:
- Click “like”
- COMMENT with your vote for either Fitness or Mindfulness
- Click “share” to add to your page
That’s it! The winner will be announced on April 1!
But in the meantime, let’s take a “mindful” moment to consider how to incorporate mindfulness into your fitness practice with these three tips:
- Feel your breath. Feel your lungs expand during the inhalation and feel your abdominals contract and pull back to your spine during the exhalation. Breathing alone is a fantastic core exercise and tapping into your breath will not only condition your muscles, but it will bring you into the present moment, which is where you strive to be.
- Park your issues. So often our workouts are consumed by thoughts running through our heads of what we need to do after we are done exercising. A yoga class can easily become a wasteland of re-writing your “to do” list in your head. Park these thoughts at the door and commit to focusing on your physical being during your workout. Ask yourself: what muscles am I working and am I feeling them right now? Am I using my breath to deepen the muscle contraction? Am I focusing on getting the most out of the this time that I have dedicated to strengthening and caring for my body? I promise, your to do list will be waiting at the door.
- Express gratitude for the ability to move. And by move that might mean a one inch leg lift, it might mean breathing deeply, or it might mean running five miles. Whatever it is that you are able to do, express gratitude for that ability. Bringing gratitude into your physical practice will energize your soul and encourage your body and mind to stick with it, even when faced with challenges.
I would love to hear how you are all bringing mindfulness into your fitness practice, please share in the comments below…. after you cast your vote, of course!
Are you ready to cast your vote and enter to win??
Last week, we learned more about “The Four Corners of Wellness,” and if you missed a post, check back in on the previous posts so that you don’t miss any of the great tips that were shared. But now it is time to start our voting…
This week we will be narrowing the “corners” down to two, so cast your vote and let’s see which two make it into the Finals!
Curious about what you might win? When you cast your vote, which remember, involves doing the following THREE things:
- Click “Like” on the post
- Comment with your vote
- Click “Share” to add this to your wall
It’s that simple! Now back to the prizes…
Based on the corner that prevails, one lucky winner will receive the associated prize…
- Fitness – a customized 15 minute video for you to do at home designed with exercises for you!
- Healthy eating – a green smoothie 101 eBook
- Essential oils – choice of one of three Young Living oils
- Mindfulness – choice of one of three books from leading experts on mindfulness
So let’s keep the momentum of this month alive! Cast your vote and let’s keep it lively!
March Lively-ness has begun! For the next several weeks, I invite you to participate in this month long initiative to improve your well-being and to be entered into a drawing to win a fabulous prize*.
Earlier this week, I hosted a teleclass on “The Four Corners of Wellness,” and shared tips on how to implement simple changes into your life through fitness, healthy eating, essential oils, and mindfulness. Read on and try to add one or two things into your life today! And remember, EVERY day represents an opportunity to make positive change.
1. Move more!
- Use the furthest restroom from where you work/spend your time.
- Move during one 30 minute TV show.
2. Try interval training – watch my blog for examples!
3. Set a fitness goal.
- Make a green smoothie.
- Replace your pasta (or most of it) with kale or broccoli.
- Replace your starch side at a restaurant with double vegetables or mixed greens.
- Try lavender for better sleep, reducing stress, and healing cracked skin.
- Use Frankincense with a carrier oil such as jojoba or coconut oil as a great night cream.
- Practice mindful eating by sitting down, slowing down, placing your fork down in between bites, and chewing each bite 20 times. TASTE your food!
- Try a basic meditation by closing your eyes, taking a deep breath, and repeating the mantra: “Fear and darkness do not have a place in my life. I live in love and light.”
Missed the class and want to listen in? Click here to download the recording. Enjoy!
*Stay tuned on this blog and Facebook to learn about the fabulous prizes associated with this contest and how you can enter to win!
As many around us get crazy with their squares and participate in “March Madness,” I’ve got some serious lively-ness for you during the month of March!
Introducing March Lively-ness: Four Corners of Wellness
Rather than watching games and voting on teams, we will be learning more about the Four Corners of Wellness that will have you feeling like a winner during the month of March.
The “Lively-ness” begins with a 30 minute, information packed teleclass on Wednesday, March 4 at 8:15pm ET to kick off the month and announce the contest rules. Listen in to learn more about these four areas of wellness, how to participate and cast your vote, and the fabulous giveaway that one lucky winner will receive after the finalist is revealed!
BONUS! And to get things started, register for the teleclass and receive a complimentary kick-start with my top 22 self-care tips!
REGISTER NOW to receive the call-in information for the teleclass!
Wednesday, March 4 at 8:15pm ET
(Can’t make the call but want to join in on the fun? Register for the call and receive the recording the following day.)
The Four Corners of Wellness
FITNESS: LET’S GET MOVING.
Your body was made to move, so improve your physical and mental health by moving it! Short on time? No equipment? Get moving with quick and effective workouts that you can do right now!
ESSENTIAL OILS: WHAT SMELLS SO GOOD?
Want to sleep better, move more freely, increase your energy, and reduce stress? Explore the world of natural botanicals and harness the power of essential oils to support optimal health and wellness with these incredible gifts from nature.
HEALTHY EATING: IT’S ALL ABOUT THE GREENS.
Want to improve your eating habits? Looking to adopt some healthy practices for you and your family? Get the 4-1-1 with Green Juicing & Smoothies 101.
MINDFULNESS: LIFE IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW, LET’S LIVE IT.
Want to learn to become more “present?” Interested in learning how to meditate or eat more mindfully? A beginner’s guide to getting started.
One of my husband’s favorite things to do is watch the Today Show on the morning of New Year’s Eve. He loves the review of all that has happened over the past year; reliving the good, mourning the sad, and acknowledging all that has gone on in our lives. We drink our coffee and reflect. This ritual of reflection is a wonderful way to raise our awareness to all we have in this life and to express our gratitude.
This morning we are snowed in as the “Blizzard of 2015” roars on and continues to dump snow on us at a fairly decent clip. In my prior career, I would have, along with many excited students, woken up this morning and celebrated the fact that I was getting a snow day. Got me questioning: does Get Lively offer “snow days?” Hmm, well, I’m the boss now, so YES! But the funny thing about having your own business, you never really start or stop working, so even though I technically have a snow day, I thought I would use this opportunity to have one of those reflective moments and share with you some of my favorite new “tricks of the trade” that I am using to support my own personal health and wellness in 2015. So here goes!
Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils.
My “surprise and delight” of 2014. Love these oily gifts from nature! As I am always looking for holistic and natural ways to support the health and wellness of my family, friends, clients, and of course myself, these have been a wonderful addition to my life. I could really go on about them as I have had so many “a-ha” moments, but I will give you my top three:
Want to sleep better?
Try: RutaVaLa. Ruta, WHAT??? So this is a blend of ruta, valerian, and lavender. Honestly, I didn’t even realize how poorly I slept until I actually got a good night’s sleep. As a frequent traveler to the restroom at night, my sleep has always been interrupted and I would often have a hard time falling back asleep, but I thought that it was just something I had to deal with. You know, a small bladder + drinking lots of water + an active mind = interrupted sleep. That was until I started rubbing RutaVaLa onto my feet at bedtime. What a difference! My frequent flyer miles to the ladies room have been cut back to one – or none – a night (from 3+ and beyond…) and I feel so much more rested in the morning. Kind of blowing my mind.
Happy, fruity, and craving curbing water.
I’ve blogged about how working at home can be really challenging as I am always around a kitchen full of food and what better way to distract yourself when you are trying to avoid a task then a jar of cashews?! So I have started adding a drop of citrus oil (must be pure, therapeutic grade) to my stainless steel water bottle or my mug of hot water. The aroma is like sunshine and the flavor helps to keep my cravings at bay.
Winter got your skin wanting to hide?
Everyone that I talk these days mentions how winter is taking a toll on their skin. Dry, cracked hands, eczema, you name it. This time of year I always get this patch of eczema under my arm which is so uncomfortable and hard to clear up because it is in such a precarious place. I’ve tried so many things that haven’t worked, but now that I have my essential oils, I’ve got some new tricks to try! After two days of lavender and olive oil rubbed in day and night, it is gone. This is so exciting for me as this is usually something I battle all winter…
Rice Heating Pad.
Oh, how I love this thing! So easy to heat up in the microwave and I use it for my stomach, back, and neck; whatever needs a little heat and love! Perfect for cramps, tight muscles, and sore backs. You can bet I’ll be getting comfy with this after shoveling today….
My mini trampoline.
My new fitness BFF. This thing rocks – especially since I am not outside walking as much because of the weather. I bounce on it all the time during the day. I’ll put on the radio and bounce to a song or two, I’ll bounce to the count of 100 when I need an energy boost – I just keep hop on it whenever I walk by. And it’s not that big, so easy to keep against the wall in a corner.
The “Get Lively” Almond Meal Muffin.
These have become my “go-to” for breakfast, coffee chats with friends, holidays, you name it! Get the recipe here and give them a try.
The Art of Eating Well cookbook
… and my LOVE mug… both Christmas gifts that have become staples in my kitchen. This book is full of great recipes that offer healthy alternatives to traditional fare. Just think: black bean brownie.
So there you have it, my top five toolkit buddies that are helping me to usher in 2015 with better sleep, soft skin, tasty food and drink, and lots of bouncing! What’s in your toolkit? Please share below!
(Note: Yes! I am an affiliate for Young Living Essential Oils, but these opinions are ALL my own and I love sharing how they are supporting my health and wellness. If you are interested in learning more about how to try these great oils, email me at: [email protected])