Healthy Summer Recipes with Sneaky Swaps!
BBQ season is upon us! Time to start sharing some great recipes to keep your summer meals healthy and vibrant. I tried these over Memorial Day Weekend and got many “thumbs ups” from the kids and grown-ups alike. All three swap out a major ingredient with a healthier and less caloric option. I swear you won't miss the calories!
Personally, my favorite in the bunch is the zucchini Hummus from my dear friends Coach Fran and Coach D (Derith) over at FLX Training (you can find me teaching there on Tuesday mornings!) This is unbelievably creamy and WAY less calories because it uses zucchini instead of beans.
FLX FUEL: Raw Zucchini Hummus
3 RAW ZUCCHINIS, PEELED AND CHOPPED
6 TBSP LEMON JUICE
4 CLOVES GARLIC
2 TSP PAPRIKA
2 TSP SEA SALT
1/2 TSP CUMIN
1 TSP TURMERIC
2 PINCHES CAYENNE PEPPER
2 TBL RAW TAHINI (no Tahini, no worries! I subbed cashew butter)
1/2 CUP RAW SESAME SEEDS OR PINE NUTS
EVOO, TO DRIZZLE
FRESH FLAT LEAF PARSLEY
1. Place all ingredients, except oil and parsley, into a blender and blend until smooth.
2. Add water/EVOO if too thick.
3. Drizzle with oil and garnish with parsley.
4. Complement it with crudités or raw flax crackers.
Next up, my original recipe of “Mexican Rice.” This can be served hot, warm, cold, or topped on a salad. The kids love this one and they can’t believe that the “rice” is actually cauliflower. GENUIS!
•1 lb lean ground turkey or chicken
•2 bags cauliflower “rice” (Trader Joe’s fresh or frozen)
•1 bag grilled peppers and onions (Trader Joe’s frozen)
•1 can low sodium diced tomatoes
•1 can low sodium black beans
•1 and 1/2 jar low sodium salsa
•Chopped fresh cilantro
1) In large sauce pan cook ground meat (use cooking spray if it is not a non-stick pan) and drain any grease that is produced.
2) In separate pan heat frozen vegetables, once warm, add to meat mixture.
3) Add canned tomatoes and beans, stir add salsa and stir.
4) Stir on med heat until everything is hot.
5) Chop fresh cilantro and garnish to taste.
Finally, a most decadent and chocolatey treat. MOUSSE!
Get Lively Chocolate Mousse
Blend in Food Processor:
1 ripe banana
1 ripe avocado
1 cup 2% plain greek yogurt (for vegan version skip yogurt and use two bananas and 1/4 c. coconut milk)
2 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbs raw cocoa nibs
1 tsp vanilla
8-10 drops stevia (vanilla stevia if available) or 1 tbs honey
Top with fresh raspberries.
Makes 3-4 servings
What are some of YOUR favorite healthy summer foods?